22 February 2013 0 Comments

Child support and emancipation

Follow Us

I have been asked if a parent has to keep paying child support if their child has been emancipated by the court.

It is a parent’s obligation to support their child until the child is either emancipated or until the child reaches the age specified in a child support court order, usually 18 or 21.  Also, an emancipation order is the equivalent of declaring a child to be an adult so once it is granted the custodial and non-custodial parents no longer have the obligation to support the child financially.

If you find yourself in this situation, don’t stop paying child support until you consult with an experienced Riverside Family Law attorney to verify that your child’s emancipation order will nullify your obligation to pay support.  To prevent any legal problems, your attorney will review the emancipation and child support orders to determine your best course of action.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.