10 August 2011 0 Comments

Divorce scenarios

Follow Us

Have you decided to end your marriage?  If so, you must file a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage in the Superior Court.  You are now known as the ‘Petitioner’.

The Petition also requests the court to deal with any issues that may arise, which include child custody, child support, spousal support, property division, etc.  The party being served the papers is known as the ‘Respondent’.   His or her actions determine how the case will be handled.

The respondent can cooperate by arriving at a mutually agreed-upon agreement, fail to respond to the Petition or contests the issues in the case.  If the Respondent agrees, the divorce is uncontested and the parties work together to settle all issues and create a written agreement.  When the Respondent fails to file a respond to the Petition in a timely manner, his or her default is entered by the court clerk and the matter proceeds without the Respondent’s participation.  Finally, if the parties cannot agree on the issues, the divorce is contested and the court will resolve the issues for them.

If you have decided to end your marriage, contact an experienced Riverside Family Law attorney who will work with you and help you determine the best way to proceed.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.