5 November 2012 0 Comments

Joint bank accounts and divorce

Follow Us

Recently I was asked what happens when the judge, in a divorce case, orders both parties to contribute to the credit card debt they made while married and one party falls behind in the payments and then stops making any payment?  The first best step is to pay the card off and close the account.

The woman asked how she can protect herself now that her credit report is damaged.  She asked her ex-spouse to remove her name from the account, but he refused.  Is there anything that can be done?

This type of situation is not unusual.  Just because the judge ordered both parties to pay off the credit card doesn’t mean that the credit card company agreed to this arrangement.  When a joint credit card account is first opened, it obligates both parties to be responsible for any debt incurred.  The best option is for the paying party to pay off the balance as soon as possible.

If you find yourself in a situation such as this one and do not know how to proceed, contact an experienced Riverside Family Law attorney who will advise you of your best options and how best to protect yourself now and in the future.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.