20 June 2013 0 Comments

Should I Change My Name Back Post Split?

Follow Us

I am going through a divorce and don’t want to keep my married name. I would like to go back to my maiden name.

This is a simple process. It is pretty easy to request the divorce court judge to enter a formal order restoring your name to your maiden name. If your final judgment contains a court order regarding your name change – that’s all you need to do.

Once you have a certified copy of the court order, you can use it to make changes on your identification cards, bank accounts and anything else that has your married name on it.

Even if your divorce papers do not show a name change request, you can still have it done.

  • Contact the court clerk in the county where the case was filed
  • Give the court clerk the case number, case names, and the date of the order/judgement/filing, if possible include a copy of your Notice of Entry of Judgement (Family Law- Uniform Parentage- Custody and Support)
  • Complete an Ex Parte Application for Restoration of Former Name After Entry of Judgement and Order (Family Law)

If you are going through a divorce and want to return to your maiden name, but don’t know how to start the process, speak to a Riverside family law attorney for the help you need.

Contact an attorney at the Holstrom, Sissung, Marks & Anderson APLC Riverside Family & Divorce Attorneys

about how you can obtain certified copies of the name change order from the divorce court.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.