26 August 2011 0 Comments

Spousal support and arrears

Follow Us

The court ordered you to pay you spousal support as part of your divorce agreement.  Spousal support is ordered to make sure your ex-spouse and your children keep the standard of living established during your marriage – not to mention all the years you were married.

What happens if you haven’t paid it for several months?  The court can institute several ways to make sure your payments continue.  Examples include a lien against your property, a bank levy or a contempt proceeding.

California State laws have made it almost impossible to get rid of arrears; they cannot be cancelled even if bankruptcy is filed.  Once arrears are owed, it will always be owed – until paid off.

If you find you are unable to fulfill your spousal support obligations, contact a skilled Riverside Family Law attorney to discuss a temporary modification of your payments – before the arrears builds up.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.