27 October 2011 0 Comments

Types of alimony or spousal support

Follow Us

In California, a divorced person may be required to pay alimony or spousal support to his or her ex-spouse.  There are several types of alimony that may be awarded and include:

 ·     Temporary – paid during the separation period

·     Rehabilitative – paid for a short-term period while the lesser-earning spouse receives training

      or education to become self-supporting

·     Reimbursement – reimburses for an expense incurred during the marriage

·     Permanent – awarded if there is a physical or mental illness and continues until the person is

     remarried or dies

·     Lump-Sum – instead of monthly payments, a one-time lump-sum payment is made

·     Property Distribution – payment is received with property instead of monthly cash payments

Facing a divorce is an emotionally stressful time and paying spousal support is probably the most unpleasant part of it.  Contact a Riverside Family Law attorney who will be sensitive to your needs, understand the frustration you are going through, and work to reach a legal resolution that you feel you can live with.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.