27 January 2012 0 Comments

What is an appeal?

Follow Us

If you are not happy with your final Judgment or Decree because you believe the court made an error in its decision, you can file an appeal.  An appeal is when you ask a higher court to review your order because you think the first court made a mistake.

A mistake can be made if the original court did not understand the facts surrounding your situation or the facts that they considered important, were not.  Filing an appeal in Family Court makes you the petitioner.  The person you are filing against is known as the respondent.

Remember, you cannot file an appeal just because you do not like the decision.  You must have legal grounds to do so.  In addition, you can only appeal if you had objections to these mistakes during the trial.

If you have received an adverse ruling from the judge in your divorce case and you want to appeal it, contact an experienced Riverside Family Law attorney who will thoroughly review your case and advise you of all your legal options.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.