6 September 2011 0 Comments

You and the credit card company

Follow Us

What happens if after your divorce is final you end up responsible for some of the debt incurred during your marriage and you cannot afford to pay the credit card company?

If you do not respond to a lawsuit from your credit card company, the court will issue a civil judgment to your creditor.  The company will use that judgment to help recover the debt against you.  At a hearing where your presence is mandatory, the company’s representative will ask you questions regarding your income and assets.  You must be truthful when you answer.  The company will determine if your assets can be seized in lieu of payment or they may garnish your wages or put a lien on your home or vehicle.

A court judgment such as this can remain on your credit report for at least ten years.  You do have a right to appeal a judgment.  If your divorce has left you with a credit card company lawsuit against you, contact an experienced Riverside Family Law attorney who will fight for your rights.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.